The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) recently issued a reminder to ensure that the mobile number linked to Aadhaar is accurate and up to date for all Aadhaar cardholders. As the cornerstone for financial inclusion and Digital India program of the Indian government, Aadhaar plays a significant role in the opening of bank accounts, ITR verification, and several more processes.
Read on to understand the importance, benefits, and process of linking mobile number to Aadhaar.
Reasons to link your mobile number to Aadhaar
Linking mobile number to Aadhaar is very important for establishing a link between all mobile numbers that have been issued by telecom operators and their owners' identities. By linking Aadhaar with the mobile number, the government can verify this data and identify the owner of the mobile number with Aadhaar.
Not only this but the mobile number registered is also used to keep users informed about various Aadhaar-linked services and schemes. Also, a mobile number linked with Aadhaar can be used to request a copy of Aadhaar, in case it is lost.
Thus, by linking your mobile number to Aadhaar, essential verification processes can get simpler for you.
Benefits of linking mobile number with Aadhaar
In addition to simplifying verification processes for you, linking your mobile number with Aadhaar can also have some great benefits, as listed below:
1. Get government subsidies: Benefit from different welfare schemes by the Government of India, using your Aadhaar-linked mobile number.
2. Verify Income Tax Return: Income tax return verification gets easier for you, especially with the one-time password that you can receive on your mobile number.
3. Update personal details on Aadhaar: You can easily update personal details on Aadhaar online, by using the one-time password (OTP) received on mobile.
4. Verify PAN Card: Linking your mobile number to Aadhaar is useful in online application and verification of PAN Card.
5. Easy loan processing: Applying for online and offline loans gets easier if your mobile number is linked to your Aadhaar and PAN. Your lender can perform background checks based on your Aadhaar card, which ensures faster verification and eligibility checks. Thus, you can get faster approval, which helps in expediting disbursal of your funds as well.
6. Open bank account easily: It is easy to open a bank account if your Aadhaar is linked with your mobile phone.
7. Invest in mutual funds online: It is much easier to invest in mutual funds online if your mobile is linked to your Aadhaar.
8. Buy insurance online: It is convenient to make the online purchase of insurance with your mobile linked to Aadhaar, as you will get the OTP directly on your mobile.
9. Sign documents or agreements digitally: With Aadhaar linked to your mobile, it is easier to sign documents or agreements digitally.
Additionally, your Aadhaar linked with mobile can help you procure a SIM card from any of the country’s top telecom providers.
Is it safe to link Aadhaar with your mobile number?
Linking your Aadhaar to your mobile number is not just convenient and beneficial, but also very safe. By doing so, you can add an extra layer of security to your SIM, as it prevents anyone from getting a connection on your name.
For those worried about agents of telecom providers gaining access to their e-KYC data, the Department of Telecom (DoT) has mandated that only the name and mobile number of telecom subscribers would be visible to the agents.
Additionally, UIDAI introduced the concept of Virtual ID (VID) system, wherein a 16-digit random number is mapped to a user’s Aadhaar number. Aadhaar holders can now use this ID in lieu of their Aadhaar numbers at the time of authentication. Thus, there’s a two-factor authentication enabled, to ensure that your data remains safe and there’s no risk of breaches.
How to link your mobile number to Aadhaar?
In addition to having multi-pronged benefits, linking your mobile number to Aadhaar is also an easy process. The steps to do the same are listed below:
Step 1: Locate the nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre or Aadhaar Seva Kendra. You can also visit the UIDAI website for the same or use the mAadhaar app or call at 1947.
Step 2: Visit the centre and place your request with the official present at the Aadhaar enrolment centre or Aadhaar Seva Kendra to link your mobile number with Aadhaar.
Step 3: The official will ask for your Aadhaar number and conduct the biometric verification.
Step 4: A nominal fee of Rs. 50 will be charged by the official present at the Aadhaar enrolment centre/Aadhaar Seva Kendra.
Before you proceed with linking your mobile with Aadhaar, it is important for you to know that no additional documents, apart from the Aadhaar card, is required for linking your mobile number to your Aadhaar. You can also book an online appointment by visiting the official UIDAI website.
In case you still haven’t linked your mobile number to your Aadhaar yet, it is the right time to do it now and have convenience in your future transactions.